Monday, September 29, 2008

When Opportunity Knocks, Put on Your Bathrobe and Open the Door

This happens to me more than I'd like to admit: I'm in bed, just falling asleep. As my brain comes unmoored from reality and starts to float away for the night, images come to me. Sometimes they're amorphous, conceptual images that dissolve like fog in sunshine the deeper into sleep I fall. But at times like last night, they just become more and more concrete.

Two years ago, I took a bunch of the really vivid military battle-tech dreams I had and put them together into a novel. It didn't work. Really, really didn't work. Last night as I was falling asleep, it all fell into place. The key to the whole thing was a dream I had Saturday night (which did not make it in to the Virtual Bank Line) and the correct title. (R&D: Rule & Dominion)

I ended up turning the light back on, sitting up and writing all the salient points down in one of my many journals. I was so pleased at how it had just all come together so perfectly and ended by being so hyped up that after I had written it all down, I had to spend half an hour reading P.G. Wodehouse before I could drop back to sleep.

Oddly enough, I ended by waking up extra early this morning and having a good day. Go figure!

No comments: