Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Tips & Tricks #5: In the Company of Writers

During November, writers all over the world gather in little clutches to huddle together over the warm glow of lighted laptop screens. These are our most sacred rituals. These are the write ins.

Make no mistake, I'm not a gregarious person in the least. I hate everyone and wish they would leave me the hell alone. On the other hand, it must be understood that at least part of that desire is the acknowledgement that I can talk the ears off a gundar, and solitude forces me to focus on the tasks at hand.

During write-ins, however, there is a different dynamic going on. For the first half hour or so, there's the inevitable gossiping and catching up, but then people settle down and begin writing. It's inspiring to see other people in action. Some stare up at the ceiling for a few minutes, then turn their faces to the screen. Some stare fixedly at the screen, although their typing may only come in short bursts. Some stare furiously, as though they will fix the words to the page through sheer force of will, which is not far from the truth.

I always end up feeling as though I get bonus words by writing in a gathering. Like, for every 10 words I type, I get one free, upping my night's word count by ten percent. Last night, I ended up doing an extra nine hundred words for the day, which pleased me no end. I'm not saying that this will happen to you, but you never know if you don't try.

The other thing is that the people in the room serve as a handy source for opinion polling (which do you like better - sauerkraut or cotton candy?), thesaurus information that's more contextually sensitive than you can get anywhere else, and cheering section. Don't underestimate the value in that!

Write by yourself. Write in a group. Write. Now.

No comments: