Monday, November 01, 2004

Tips & Tricks #3 - Day 1

There were a lot of people who stayed up until after midnight to begin their novel. Good on them! While I did a lot of reviewing and perfecting characters and plot points prior to midnight, I did manage to make it into bed at 11:49 p.m., and therefore didn't write a word until this morning.

And I'm not convinced that any of it is any good. See, I'm not a morning person. In my perfect life, I would wake at about 8, spend an hour washing, dressing and eating breakfast, go out and get some exercise, and then about lunchtime settle down to writing. I would work for 4-5 hours, take a break at dinner time, then work another 4-5 hours, ending my night between midnight and 1 a.m. It would be lovely if I could maintain this schedule, but alas, the rest of my household seems wedded to a more traditional schedule.

For the month of November, I attempt to have it both ways. I still have to get up each day and leave the house at 6:25 in the morning to get to work by 7, but then I also stay up until midnight or 1 every night, cutting my effective sleep by a tremendous amount. I tend to make up for it on the weekends, which generally involve the entire family tiptoeing around the house until about 10 in the morning so as not to wake me.

I can hardly wait until success steps in to make this whole ugly process much, much easier (i.e., cutting out the day job).

I have begun writing, and have amassed a whopping 551 words as of 11 this morning. I'll most likely cross my 2k word goal at this afternoon's management meeting where I intend to be completely oblivious (as soon as I'm done giving my presentation).

November has begun. My head is bowed, but unbloody.

No comments: