Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Hidden Gems

I'm doing a reading on the radio station KFJC tomorrow morning. I was thinking that I'd do a piece from my last novel, but as I was looking through the contents of my thumb drive, I found a short story that I really loved that I'd written last year. It wasn't edited at all (the word "shit" appeared about fifty times) and when I read it, it came out to about 45 minutes.

Oh, did I mention that I hadn't put on an ending?

The nice thing is that I had a deadline. I have to get this polished and ready for prime time by tonight because the reading papens at 7:20 a.m. PST tomorrow morning. I'm always impressed at the depths of laser-like focus I'm able to muster when faced with a looming deadline, and I was able to write the ending (a different, and I think better, ending than I had originally imagined) and cut a great deal from it in a couple of hours last night. Tonight I do some more editing and then decide on the soundtrack.

The best thing is that after this intensive few hours of work, this story will be ready for prime time. It goes on my list of stories ready to be put out there in the world.

I love when that happens.

No comments: