Thursday, December 11, 2008

Fact vs. Fiction: Holiday Style

You know, normally I've got a schedule to keep. I check over the address list from the year before and make any necessary corrections on Thanksgiving weekend. I put the cards together and get everyone to sign them in the days between Thanksgiving and December 1. This year - it's mid-December and I have done NOTHING. I am looking at the blank page facing me and thinking "I have no idea what to say. Many things happened this year, but most of them are things I don't want to talk about.

Writing fact is so much harder than writing fiction, yet I write fact for a living. I get paid a whole bucket of money to write facts all day long. Something is wrong, here.

I think I've hit on it. I'm constraining myself to what *actually* happened, rather than what I *wish* happened. Problem solved!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think people would be delighted to get a fantastical one-paragraph lie in their card. It would still be yours!