Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Your Hat Collection

During November, I get lots of complaints to the effect that the writer has a day job and children and can't "fit it all in," and that I'm somehow unreasonable for scheduling writing events during the day or too late at night or on the weekends.

The first thing I think is that I can't please everybody, so I don't even try anymore. But the fact of the matter is that I have a day job. And a long commute. And a husband. And two children. And pets and a house with dirty laundry and plants that need watering and all of those things that everyone else has. AND I have writing that needs doing.

But even that can be broken out a little further. I have actual writing that I'm doing. And once something is written, it needs EXTENSIVE editing (I re-wrote this very sentence four times). When I've gotten something ready for publication, I have to research markets and prepare submission packets and send things off. I have to keep track of what I've submitted and where.

Everyone plays multiple roles in life every day, and the difficulty is switching effectively between those roles. Yes, you're being asked to wear a different hat for every hour of the day - now you're a parent, now you're a boss, now you're a customer, now you're a spouse - and it can take a little time to make that mental switch. The important thing is that YOU are the only one who can make it. While I have the greatest appreciation in the world for people with busy lives who are trying to fit everything in, I am considerably less understanding of those people who use their busy lives as an excuse. If you don't want to do something, don't do it. Please don't use the excuse "I can't find the time," because I am here to tell you that each and every one of us is granted the same number of hours per day.

To those people who find themselves buckling under the burden, I would respectfully suggest looking at your hat collection and seeing if there aren't a few that could be thrown out. That faded, fraying "reality tv" ballcap with the warped brim? Could that go? How about your Worlds of Warcraft battle helmet with the leather straps and metal studs and horns? Could that go? The jaunty little cap you wear when compulsively updating Facebook or Twitter? Look at all the hats you wear and make the hard choice about where you believe your writing hat fits in that collection. And then, having made that choice, act on it!

Who knows? After November, you might find that you like how you look in your writer's hat better than some of the other hats you've been wearing. Personally, I think it makes you look smart. And a little sexy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post. And very, very true.