Saturday, October 25, 2008

But When Do You Find Time?

That's the most frequently asked question I get. Yup, I do have a full-time+ job, AND kids, AND a heinous commute, and I've still managed to write at least 50k words each November.

A big part of it is just forcing myself to write a little every day. You'll hear lots of stories about that legendary guy (and I know at least two) who were unable to write for weeks and then sat down and in 1 or 2 days wrote eighty baskillion words. That's fine if you live alone and can do that sort of thing. For the rest of us, that's not always possible.

What I've learned to do instead is to snatch what time I can find from anywhere. Write during lunch. Take a notebook and write in the restroom (and do use a notebook, as it can be disconcerting for others to hear typing in the restroom). I use my phone's voice notes feature and dictate during my heinous commute, and then transcribe it when I have the time later. This morning I found myself wide awake at 6am on a Saturday. Normally unheard-of, but I couldn't go back to sleep because I'm working on another piece of writing and I have solved a key problem. So, on with the bathrobe and fuzzy slippers and here I am, writing away while everyone but the Very Helpful Kitten is asleep.

You have time in your day. I promise. You have those little bits of time that you're currently spending doing sudoku or watching television (all those crappy shows you're watching now? either they'll still be there in December, or they sucked to begin with and you're better off without them) or in one of those meetings where you don't actually have to either participate or pay attention until someone mentions your name (you know you have them. everyone has them).

Okay, I'm winding up this post because the kitten is eating my head, which is even less helpful than merely lying on my keyboard. Ouch!

No comments: