Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Writers of a Feather

I know a fair number of people who are also writers. Their genres are different than mine (whose isn't?), their methods are a little different than mine, but they also tend to hang out with other writers.

The problem is that, while I have a few other friends that write, I don't really "hang around" anyone. I have one dear, dear friend with whom I do some weekly writing, but other than that I'm pretty much a loner.

It makes me wonder if I shouldn't be working harder to shmooze the writer crowd. Seriously - I don't link to any other writer's blogs, I don't eagerly eat up the written word as falls from the pen of this popular writer or that popular writer. Years of being a Buddhist have left me with the impression that I can't place full faith and credit in anything I haven't experienced for myself, so reading about someone else's experience of writing or the publishing industry really only has the effect of making me curious about my own experience of it.

But perhaps it's time. Perhaps now is the time to start reaching out to some other writers - to start making more of an effort to get myself and my stuff out there. I mean...you know...moreso than I am now.

No comments: