Monday, October 25, 2004

Telling People You're an Author & FAQ #1

I started writing when I was about 5. I had started making up stories long before then, but I didn't know how to write. When I was little, I dreamed of being a "writer," but somehow got the notion that "writers" weren't live people and that I needed to think of something else to be.

Later, I became an editor. Not only did this sound like something a real person could do, but it exposed me to some of the worst writing on earth.

It was only after I got a job with a magazine that forced me into writing large articles in short timeframes that were then ripped to shreds by editors that love me, but not my ledes, that I started calling myself a writer. I felt that, after having my ego forcibly ripped from me, mauled with a red pen, and handed back, I had earned it.

When people ask me what I do, I tell them that I'm an author. "Ooooh!" they squeal. "Have I heard of you? What have you written?" Now, my normal response to this is "No, you haven't heard of me, and I've written tons of articles that you, my retail clerk/grocery checker/dry cleaner would not have read because they were for a semiconductor industry business magazine." Do I feel cowed when they sniff impertinently at me, implying by their dismissive attitude that what I have accomplished might not be "real" writing? I do not.

The point is that you can consider yourself a writer an author whenever you wish. Just because you're not Danielle Steele or Stephen King does not mean that you are any less of a writer. In my book, the less like them you are, the better your work probably is.

You are a writer now, as long as you're writing.

FAQ #1: How could you have won an award for a book that isn't published yet?
That's a good question. I'm glad I asked it. My 2002 novel, Mitos del Pueblo, won at the East of Eden writer's conference in a contest for unpublished works. Not only was it not published, it wasn't even properly finished which is why, two months later, I'm only just getting around to sending it out to agents who requested to see it.

And, finally, an update:

This past weekend, I made up my agent packets and will be sending MdP to 11 agents. I'm sure I will hear back favorably from more than one of them, and we'll see how it goes.

No comments: