Tuesday, July 29, 2003

What Exactly DO You Do With a Drunken Sailor?

On Sunday night, the Pirate dreamed that my father had given him a credit card and told him to buy us a house with it. The Pirate was so overwhelmed that he cried. And at the same time, somebody gave me an ancient 78 of "Tubby the Tuba."
Last night, without having heard about the Pirate's dream, I dreamed that I was visiting my parents in the house that I grew up in (which our family hasn't owned for more than 20 years). And the girl who lived across the street from me when I was a kid was still there and she was coming over to spend the night. I don't know how I knew that she was coming, because nobody had talked to her. I didn't even know what she would look like as an adult. My parents went to bed before it even started to go dark out, and I was wandering around the house waiting for this woman to show up. I kept looking out the kitchen window to the house across the street, but I didn't see her. I thought "I'll just call information" so I picked up the phone and dialed 4-1-1, and without my having to say anything at all, a voice said "Chapman, Fletcher. Floorgen obble wardin neeble hik bippus. Phone numbers for Tubby the Tuba are not formatted like regular phone numbers, so please write it down." And then the line went dead and I had no idea what to do. I didn't have the faintest idea how to dial "floorgen" on a regular telephone.
In the cold light of day, I think that I could have just walked across the street and knocked on the door, but it just didn't occur to me at the time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Christmas is right around the corner and it is a perfect time for dog hammock. Nice blog. I really enjoyed it.